Nov. 13 & 15, Fellowship Hall, Elm Street Congregational Church, Southbridge, MA
Auditions for "The Butler Did It”, by Todd Wallinger, will be held on Tuesday, November 13 and Thursday, November 15 at 6:30pm in Fellowship Hall of Elm Street Congregational Church, 61 Elm Street. Entrance is on Park Street (around corner). Men and women are needed for this production scheduled for February 8, 9, 15, 16 at 7:30pm and February 17 at 2pm. Rehearsals will be on Sunday’s 2pm-4pm, and Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:30pm-8:30pm. Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. Wear comfortable clothes and plan to have a good time. Presented by permission through special arrangement with Pioneer Drama Service. Joe Sawyer is directing, with Sue Adams as producer. For questions about auditions call 508-764-4531.
When it comes to solving murder mysteries, it’s always the one you least suspect! The very proper butler Jenkins and the fiery Cockney maid Sarah Jane are preparing the Covington household for a visit from Edwina Corry, the world’s greatest mystery author and friend to Lady Miranda and Colonel Covington. Other guests arriving include Lady Covington’s feisty old mother, their high-flying daughter Kat, their chatty priest who doesn’t know when to quit and the caddish, eavesdropping neighbor boy Trevor. Things are soon thrown into confusion, however, when Trevor is found stabbed to death in the kitchen. On her arrival, Edwina eagerly launches an investigation into the murder. Unfortunately, the evidence is stacked against poor Jenkins from the start, and when the bloody knife is found in his pocket, the other members of the household tie him to a chair and call the police. The only problem? Jenkins claims he didn’t do it. And now he’s got just half an hour to prove his innocence — while still tied to the chair.
Gateway Players Theatre | 111 Main Street, Southbridge, MA
- JENKINS .....butler; unusually clever though he would be the last to admit it
- SARAH JANE .....Cockney maid; uneducated; always seems about to unravel
- TREVOR BARSTOW .....heir to the adjacent estate; arrogant chap and all-around cad
- GRAM .....feisty and quite possibly deranged mother of Lady Miranda; rarely seen without her rifle
- COLONEL NIGEL COVINGTON ......retired British Army colonel and master of Bournsley Manor; vain but harmless blowhard
- LADY MIRANDA COVINGTON .....wife of the colonel; rather sickly; class-conscious to the extreme
- KAT COVINGTON ......aspiring aviatrix and only child of the Covingtons; quite prickly
- FATHER TIMOTHY.....vicar of the local parish and Edwina’s biggest fan; never knows when to shut up
- EDWINA CORRY .....world‘s greatest mystery author and old school chum of Lady Miranda; brusque, assertive and intimidating